I am emailing you to personally thank you for all of your support the past few months and to provide you with some important updates regarding my Senate office.
Going forward, my office will send out a quarterly newsletter to keep you updated on important issues and relevant news regarding the 4th Middlesex district and the State House. If you do not wish to receive our newsletter, please respond to this email and we will remove you from our list.
One of the most important ways to stay up to date on current events is to engage directly with social media. Please visit my new Senate website and make sure to follow my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, where I will frequently post interesting articles, ask for your input on certain issues, and make you aware of important information and events in the district.
As your new state Senator, I look forward to representing you and carrying on the important work Senator Ken Donnelly started nearly ten years ago.
If you need to reach our office, please contact us by phone at (617) 722-1432, by email at Cindy.Friedman@masenate.gov, or via the contact form on my website. I look forward to hearing from you!
For more updates, please continue reading this email.
As I promised on the campaign trail, I hit the ground running on day 1. Most notably, since being sworn into the Senate on July 26th, I have proudly taken the following actions:
- Voted to reject the Governor’s proposal to amend the state’s $40 billion budget, which would have forced 140,000 people to lose coverage through MassHealth.
- Voted “yes” on S.2124 An Act improving real property tax abatements, application deadlines, and deferrals, which would lower tax burdens for those most in need, including low-income seniors, military personnel, and the disabled.
- Voted “yes” on S.2125, An Act for language opportunity for our students, which eliminates the current “one-size fits all” Sheltered English Immersive (SEI) mandate and, instead, allows parents and school districts to choose the most effective English Language learning programs to fit the needs of their students.
- Co-sponsored the Safe Communities Act (S.1305), which would ensure that state resources are not used to enforce federal immigration law. The bill would also prohibit state collaboration with the federal government for the purpose of creating a federal registry program based on national origin or other protected characteristics.
- Co-sponsored the Medicare for All bill (S.619), which would establish a single-payer health-care system in Massachusetts, lower costs and ensure that everyone in our state has access to quality, affordable health care.
- Co-sponsored a Charlottesville Resolution that was passed unanimously by the House, Senate, and the Governor in condemnation of the violent and hateful acts that took place in Virginia on August 12, 2017.
Official swearing-in ceremony in the Governor’s Office
Click here to watch my official swearing-in speech at formal session
Attended ROC-Boston’s “Women in the Workforce” Breakfast,
where I advocated for the $15 minimum wage bill. (S.1004)
Attended rally outside the Mass. State House against Gov. Baker’s
ICE detainer bill. Proud to stand up for immigrants!
Proud to join thousands of like-minded individuals
for a peace rally in Boston on Saturday, August 19th.
CINDY IN THE MEDIA
Hundreds attend Arlington solidarity gathering wake of Charlottesville
Arlington post-Charlottesville rally held
Friedman co-sponsors single-payer, safe-communities legislation
Arlington resident Cindy, 13th woman in MA Senate
Friedman assigned chair of Senate Public Service Committee
Legislature rejects Baker’s MassHealth plan
Senate’s Newest Member Cindy Friedman Sworn In
Friedman cruises to special Senate election win
Speaking directly with your legislator is the best way to ensure that your voice is heard. I’m pleased to invite you to attend office hours in the district starting in September. Please refer to the schedule below and contact our office if you have any questions.
Location: Lexington Community Center, 39 Marrett Rd., Lexington, MA 02421
Time: 1st Tuesday of Every Month — 9:30AM-10:30AM
Location: Kickstand Cafe, 594 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA 02476
Time: 1st Tuesday of Every Month —11AM-12PM
Location: Woburn Senior Center, 144 School St., Woburn MA 01801
Time: 1st Wednesday of Every Month — 9:30AM-10:30AM
Location: Billerica Council On Aging, 25 Concord Rd., Billerica, MA 01821
Time: 2nd Tuesday of Every Month — 9:30AM-10:30AM
Location: Burlington Council on Aging, 61 Center St., Burlington, MA 01803
Time: 2nd Tuesday of Every Month — 11AM-12PM